Saturday, October 24, 2015

A clean slate.


All the deck wood, bulkheads, saturated foam are completely removed from the boat. So I have a clean slate to start with. All the wood was completely rotted, offering no structural support, it goes to show you how strong the fiberglass is even on a economy boat such as this one. The boat was being used for years with the rotted deck structure.

I started out by using some 1/2 rigid foam insulation I had laying around to make 6 templates of the 12 ( left and right )bulkheads. This may seem like a daunting task but remember all we are doing is replacing the same materials we took out. Hopefully with much better materials than were originally used.






The procedures, practices and tricks I used here are pretty much exactly the same for any boat so you can apply the principles I used here to replacing bulk heads, stringers and deck to any boat. Even using more advanced water proof materials like Nida core or what ever the latest and greatest is. I on the other hand have unknown source cheap marine plywood. (made in Indonesia)

No comments:

Post a Comment