Saturday, October 24, 2015

Tabbing in bulkheads with fiberglass.

 


I wet out the wood and glassed in all the tabs.
Its pretty straight forward just wet the wood out put your piece of fabric in the wet area and wet the resin out well. Then use a fiberglass bubble busting roller to press the fabric well into the work this also helps to distribute the resin into the fabric and bring the excess resin to the surface. The fabric used to tab in the bulkheads is 1708 bi axle fiberglass cloth.
 
Sorry no pictures but I eventually put another two coats of resin over all exposed wood.
 
After the resin cured the sides of the gunwales no longer bounced and wiggled they were now very rigid. I tested this by hanging my full weight off the rails. After the deck is glassed in I am sure it will become even more solid.
 
 

 
 
 
For safety make sure you wear chemical proof gloves and a skin protection like a long sleeve shirt.
 
This is what happened to me when I got some liquid hardener on my shirt and didn’t notice till it started to hurt, a nice chemical burn. The picture is from 7 days later, it actually watered blistered and bruised the first few days. A friend of mine said I could sell it as Tattoo brightener, call it peel bright. I said it be more like pour and scream : / . So please be careful even the resin will burn your skin if not protected.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment