Saturday, October 24, 2015

Cutting and fitting, bulk heads and cross beams






The next thing was trace and use a jig saw to start cutting out bulkheads from the Styrofoam templates I made. There are 6 per side, you would think both hull sponsons are exactly identical but they are not. Although I did cut two out at the same time the they were not going to be matching sets I did have to trim them to fit perfectly for the right and left sides.


I cut the bulk heads from 3/4 marine plywood. The 2" red oak cross beams are dadoed 3/8 of an inch. (a 3/4 x 3/8 inch deep inch slot cut into the oak beam wood). Using the dadoed slot cut into the oak beam and a single screw (predrilled) into the beam to the bulkhead. I had a way to hold and align the bulkheads.



Notice I am placing the new bulk heads a few inches away from where the old bulkheads were. This is for two reasons to save the work of having to remove the old bulkhead tabbings and second, grinding and cutting fiberglass is seriously itchy and dangerous stuff. Don't go out of your way to mess with cured fiberglass if you can avoid it.





No comments:

Post a Comment