Friday, October 23, 2015

The start of redecking and replacing bulk heads on a 18′ Seagull Nautico


Picked her up at night after work. She is a 1998 model with a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke outboard, center console 2014 galvanized trailer. This boat is a project, the bulk heads and the deck are completely rotted out.


I stopped at a gas station to check air pressure on the trailer tires since it was a 90 mile highway ride home. It turns out the both wheels were loose on the axle, they both wiggled about a 1/2 – 3/4 inch at the top of the wheel. People with a little knowledge should not work on things they don’t know about. I had no tools with me to remove the bearing buddies and tighten the axle castle nuts, oh well. So off I went, I know if they are bearings are slightly loose its not a huge problem, this was little more than slightly thought. I did stopped at a rest area and checked for excessive bearing heat. Fearing if the person didn’t know how to tackle axle nuts there might also be a lack of grease. There was no heat so I continued my journey.



I got her home without incident, My Mitsubishi Endeavor had no trouble pulling her at 70 mph, loaded with 5 sheets of marine plywood and more than enough fiberglass to complete the new decking.




No comments:

Post a Comment